Snuggling amidst the cradle shaped Fateh Parvat, the valley of Har Ki Dun is located at an altitude of 3566 meters and is one of the most gorgeous mountain valleys of Western Himalayas. It is situated in the district of Uttarkashi of Garhwal in Uttarakhand State. It is surrounded by densely populated endless forests and snow-clad mountain peaks. With abundant flora and fauna at a close range, the valley has got the attention of many bird watchers and nature lovers since decades.
- Har Ki Dun is popularly known as “Valley of Gods”
- Views of Hata, Swargarohini peak and Fateh Parvat.
- Govind National Park is home for unique flora & fauna.
- Experience the essence of mythology at temple at Osla.
- Enticing Vast grasslands, mountain views, pine forests, deep valleys and jaw dropping views of great Himalayas.
- Base Camp : Sankri
- Duration : 6 Nights – 7 Days
- Har Ki Dun Altitude : 11500 ft
- Sankri Altitude : 1920 ft
- Best Time : All Year
- Temperature in Summer : Day (5℃ to 15℃) Night (2℃ to 7℃)
- Temperature in Winter : Day ( -2℃ to -5℃) Night ( -5℃ to -10℃)
- Chandgad Camp Altitude : 8550 ft
- Trek Grade : Moderate (Subjective to Individual)
- Total Trek Distance : On foot 64 km and SUV 450 km
Why to choose?
Even though multiple trekking trails are available to choose from, it is essential to understand the very reason to opt for Har Ki Dun Trek is..
- The Altitude gain is not too high and the distance of 56 km covered in 7 days.
- A moderate trek, and an individual of minimum fitness can do with gradual acclimatization and with no fear of Altitude sickness. The trail is scenic with forest cover, fresh air and Perennial water all along the trail.
- It has much more to offer than hiking, like interaction with locals, Lifestyle, Variety of flora and fauna, rich heritage and can be done round the year.
- During winter, this valley transforms into wonderland and will be covered with white sheet of snow. In summers the valley turns into different hues, with Kaleidoscope of colors, wildflowers and woods in different shades & colors.
Trip Cost Includes
- Food : During Stay and Snacks during Evening Refreshments only
- Travel : Tempo Traveler/SUV Similar Non/Ac/Bus
- Accommodation : Basic Multiple sharing or dormitory/Tent.
- Group Size : Group size 12 and Above.
Trip Cost Excludes
- Any trip extensions, Stay due to road blocks or landslides, extra meals, Accommodation
What to Expect?
A trip graded as a Moderate takes you to high altitude regions - above 3000m / 10,000 ft and will involve considerable altitude gain 800 ft - 1200ft over the course of the trek. Altitude will have an effect, hence one would need to be careful about Acclimatization. The guide will educate about acclimitization procdure. Moderate treks will have multiple days which involve considerable amount of ascents and descents and would require walking for more than 5 - 6 hours.
There might be a day or two of camping in relatively high altitudes above 4000m / 13,000ft. A typical trek will last around a week to ten days depending on the region and is fro those who have exposure to Himalayan treks, for people who have completed a beginner trek.
Good fitness levels are needed to enjoy these trips.Preparation of your body by doing some fitness actitivies before the trip would help. Prior trekking experience would be an added advantage.