I am reminded of the resounding words of the poet, W.H. Davies, as I talk about the Satopanth Taal. He says,
“What is life full of care, there no time to stand and stare;
No time to see, in broad daylight, Streams full of stars, like skies at night”
In the midst of enormous mountains adorned in nothing but speckles of white, rising above the sea level by about 4600 meters a lake stands full of stars, (as described by the poet), in the Indian state of Uttarakhand is the Satopanth Tal. Exactly speaking, the lake is 25 kilometres from the holy place of worship for Hindus, Badrinath – The Abode of Lord Badri Vishal. Badrinath, the seat of the god Vishnu in his aspect of Badrinarayan, is the most important of the four sites in India's Char Dham pilgrimage, and is situated among the giants of Indian Himalaya, at the height of 10,248 feet above sea level.
- Triangular shaped glacial lake lies hidden at an altitude of 14450 ft.
- It is considered a one of the pristine high latitude lakes of Devabhoomi.
- Mythical lake is surrounded by Satopanth peak, Neelkanth, Balakun, Parvati Swargarohini and other peaks.
- Joshimath Altitude: 6152 ft
- Chamtoli Altitude: 11,844 ft
- Laxmi Van Altitude: 12,510 ft
- Chakratirth Altitude: 13,655 ft
- Overall Trek distance : 46 kilometres
- Satopanth Tal Altitude: 14,455 ft
- Best time to visit : Between June to September
- Difficulty level : Moderate (It is Subjective)
Why to choose?
As a Himalayan lover it is necessary to understand the reason for choosing Satopanth Tal Trek :
- It is one of High-altitude lakes of Uttarakhand Himalaya, situated at an altitude of 4600m deeply steeped in Mythology and referred in epics.
- Total trekking distance of 46 kms from Mana border is covered in 7 days.
- The trail is moderate with Moraine and good for beginners too.
- You get to see a few prominent peaks such as Mt. Chaukhamba, Mt. Balakun, Mt. Swargarohini and different views of Mt. Neelkanth peak.
- Acclimatization and height gain to suit to everyone's requirement, and weather conditions
Trip Cost Includes
- Food : During Stay and Snacks during Evening Refreshments only
- Travel : Tempo Traveler/SUV Similar Non/Ac/Bus
- Accommodation : Basic Multiple sharing or dormitory/Tent.
- Group Size : Group size 12 and Above.
Trip Cost Excludes
- Any trip extensions, Stay due to road blocks or landslides, extra meals, Accommodation
What to Expect?
A trip graded as a Moderate takes you to high altitude regions - above 3000m / 10,0000 ft and will involve considerable altitude gain 800 ft - 1200ft over the course of the trek. Altitude will have an effect, hence one would need to be careful about Acclimatization. The guide will educate about acclimitization procdure.Moderate treks will have multiple days which involve considerable amount of ascents and descents and would require walking for more than 5 - 6 hours.
There might be a day or two of camping in relatively high altitudes above 4000m / 13,000ft. A typical trek will last around a week to ten days depending on the region and is fro those who have exposure to Himalayan treks, for people who have completed a beginner trek.
Good fitness levels are needed to enjoy these trips.Preparation of your body by doing some fitness actitivies before the trip would help. Prior trekking experience would be an added advantage.